Low-Income Assistance

Several low-income assistance programs are available to help you afford your communication services. To be eligible, you must meet income-based criteria or participate in specific programs.

What is Lifeline?

Financial assistance through the federal Lifeline program is available to help qualified cooperative customers afford and maintain basic telephone or broadband internet service. Lifeline provides a monthly bill credit of $9.25/month on internet service or phone service (landline or mobile) per qualified household. Subscribers may receive the Lifeline credit on service offered in a bundle. Advertised rates do not include any applicable taxes or surcharges. Reduced deposits are also available.

What are the eligibility criteria for Lifeline?


You qualify for a discount if:

  • You participate in any ONE of these government benefit programs:
    • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)
    • Medicaid
    • Federal Public Housing Assistance (FPHA)
    • Veterans Pension and Survivors Benefit
    • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

— OR —

Your income is at or below 135% of the federal poverty guidelines for 2024.

  • 1 person: $20,331
  • 2 people: $27,594
  • 3 people: $34,857
  • 4 people: $42,120
  • 5 people: $49,383
  • 6 people: $56,646
  • 7 people: $63,909
  • 8 people: $71,172
  • For each additional person, add: $7,263

Lifeline Rules

The Lifeline program is limited to one benefit per household, consisting of either wireline or wireless service. A 2023 household is defined, for purposes of the Lifeline program, as an individual or group of individuals who live together at the same address and share income and expenses. Households currently receiving more than one Lifeline service must select a single Lifeline service provider and de-enroll from the program with any other provider(s).

Lifeline participants must recertify their eligibility every year. Lifeline is a government program. Consumers who willfully make false statements to obtain the benefit can be punished by fine or imprisonment or can be barred from the program. The services above aren’t offered in all areas.

The Universal Service Administrative Company (USAC) administers the Lifeline program. USAC is responsible for helping you apply for the program, understand eligibility requirements, and keep your benefit current through an annual recertification process.


A household is a group of people that share income and expenses.

  • You are only allowed to get one Lifeline discount per household.
  • If you share housing, complete the Household Worksheet.
  • The worksheet is available at LifelineSupport.org. You can also ask Alliance Communications.

How do I apply?


  1. APPLY ONLINE Find the online application at LifelineSupport.org.
  2. MAIL YOUR APPLICATION Print an application from LifelineSupport.org. Fill out and mail it with proof of eligibility to: Lifeline Support Center PO Box 9100 Wilkes-Barre, PA 18773
  3. CONTACT ALLIANCE COMMUNICATIONS Call 611 from any phone with Alliance service or 1-800-701-4980.

What is the Minnesota Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP)?

Minnesota’s Telephone Assistance Plan (TAP) TAP offers a $10.00 per month discount on home landline telephone service* to low-income consumers residing in Minnesota.
*Please note that TAP credits can only be used to reduce the price of landline service.

What are the eligibility criteria?

Consumers enrolled in the following programs may already be eligible:
  • Federal Public Housing Assistance
  • Medical Assistance
  • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
  • Supplemental Security Income
  • Veterans Pension or Survivors Pension Benefit
  • Bureau of Indian Affairs General Assistance
  • Tribally Administered Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
  • Head Start
  • Food Distribution Program
  • TAP is also available to those who are behind in paying their bills.

How do I apply?

Click here to apply for the Minnesota Telephone Assistance Program.
Your phone service provider can assist you with the application(s) or contact the Minnesota Public Utilities Commission for assistance, at consumer.puc@state.mn.us or 651-296-0406 or 1-800-657-3782.