How do I set up email on a BlackBerry?
You can use your BlackBerry phone to check your Alliance email. If you use another email program, such as Outlook or Windows Live Mail, you need to configure that program so that it leaves the email on the server. if you do not do this, the program will remove messages when it checks for new email, and your BlackBerry will not see them. It is highly recommended that you configure your other email programs to remove the email after a short period of time (1 day is sufficient).
There are a variety of interfaces for configuring email, depending on the model of BlackBerry phone that you have. Alliance recommends that you read your phone documentation before attempting to set up an email account. Below is a general description of the information that you will need when setting up your Alliance email account on your BlackBerry phone:
- Your Alliance email address: e.g.
- Your Alliance email password
- Your username: for an alliancecom.net email address, the username is the part before the '@' symbol. e.g. jdoe. If you have an Alliance vanity email account, enter the username that was given to you when the account was setup.
- Incoming Email Server Type: choose POP or POP3
- Incoming Server Name: pop.alliancecom.net
Please note that the BlackBerry phones only check for new email intermittently. This means that it could take anywhere from 15 minutes to 1 hour for new email to start coming in. Unfortunately, this is how the BlackBerry phone is designed and it is beyond the control of Alliance Communications.