Zyxel, AR, and AS-800 Modems
By default, these router/modems and your Linksys router will have the IP address of 192.168.1.1. That is a networking no no. It's like two houses having the same phone number in the same town. To fix the problem, you should follow these steps:
- Turn off the Zyxel modem (there is a power switch in the back).
- Make sure that your PC is connected to the wireless router. It may be necessary to reboot both the PC and the router.
- On your PC, open Internet Explorer. In the ADDRESS BAR, type in 192.168.1.1 and click GO.
- You should get a username/password prompt for the LINKSYS router. The username is blank, and the password should be 'admin' without the quotes. If that fails, try 'admin' for both the username and the password.
- When you get into the LINKSYS ROUTER SETUP SCREEN, find the section that says LAN IP. Change the LAN IP to the following settings:
- IP Address: 192.168.3.1
- Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
- Click the APPLY button. At this point, you will lose connection with the router, which is OK. Simply close the browser.
- Turn the ADSL modem back on and wait for all of the lights to go steady.
Paradyne and Zhone Modems
By default, these modems use an IP address of 192.168.10.1, which is different than the default IP of a Linksys Router. Nothing more needs to be done.